2 minutes to read
All day, every day, our skin does an excellent job of looking after us, shielding us from the stresses of every day life. But sometimes life takes its toll on our skin, and it can easily become dry, chapped and rough. This can be uncomfortable and leave you susceptible to infection, as germs can get into the small fissures on the skin’s surface. That’s why we’ve developed our scientifically-researched formulas – to give your hardworking skin a helping hand.
What causes dry, chapped and rough skin?
Dry, chapped and rough skin is caused by a lack of moisture and fat in the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin), and is most common on the hands, elbows, shins, heels and face. Factors which can influence this are:
- Cold weather
- Central heating
- Air conditioning
- Friction with rough fabrics and surfaces
- Hormonal changes, such as menopause
- Ageing (which naturally reduces the skin’s moisture content)
- Spending too long in chlorinated water
- Hot baths and showers
Preventing dry, chapped and rough skin
Regularly use moisturiser on your whole body, especially on areas prone to dryness, roughness and chapping
- Drink plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated
- Do not use soap or aggressive chemicals on the skin
- Do not shower more often than you need to and keep the water temperature lukewarm instead of hot
- Avoid exposing the skin to extreme cold, rain, sun or wind
Treating dry, chapped and rough skin with Bepanthen
No matter how careful you are to prevent dry, cracked or chapped skin, some people are simply more prone to it than others, and when it happens, it’ll need effective treatment.
Our Bepanthen® Antiseptic Cream helps protect damaged skin from infection and also assists in the treatment of cuts, abrasions, chafed and cracked skin, insect bites and stings, chapped hands and sunburn.
Apply Bepanthen Antiseptic Cream with clean hands daily or several times a day as needed.